Moving can be stressful and there are so many things to consider. Here is a quick checklist I put together so you can make sure you have all the steps you need covered.
Fell free to bookmark this page or just print the page off. Then you can check things off as you complete them.
[checklist-box title=”Moving Checklist” extraTitle=”Moving Checklist” extraUrl=””]
8 Weeks Out
- Get estimates for at least four different moving companies. Select one that suits you needs. Read this blog post on how to find a moving company online.
6 Weeks Out
- Get an in home site visit from your moving company to get a proper estimate. Make sure you talk about the final cost that should be a fixed price. Insurance, packing and loading, delivery time frames and how claims work if there is damage.
- Sort through all your things you don’t need. Maybe have a sale or just throw away thins you don’t want, give them to friends or to charity.
4 Weeks Out
- If you are having packing completed for you by the moving company get it booked in now with plenty of time to spare.
- If you are going to do all the packing yourself, start now.
- If you need storage. Start looking into options now. Speak to the moving company you are going with as they might do storage also.
- Arrange for any repair work or cleaning to start at you new house so it’s completed when you move in.
3 Weeks Out
- Call all the utility companies and arrange for everything to be disconnected the day after you move. And for the connections to start the day before you move in to the new place (or sooner if needed).
- Make arrangements for a hotel, Airbnb or a friends place during your move while you won’t have a bed to sleep in.
- If you live in an apartment and have a lot of large things to move then speak to management as you should be able to reserve the elevator for when you move takes place.
2 Weeks Out
- Start to call everyone else that needs a call for address changes. You might want to use an address change service. Most charge for this. I not do it yourself. For example insurance companies, your drivers licenses, bank accounts, credit cards and other utilities like the internet and for mobile company and so on.
- Setup mail forwarding with the post office.
- Make arrangements for plants and pet transport as moving companies wont generally deal with this.
1 Week out
- Arrange any regular delivers you have scheduled to be cancelled or the address updated to you new address.
1 to 2 Days Out
- Pack all your clothes, valuables, toiletries, and anything that you will need as soon as you move into your new place that you didn’t actually pack with your make pack a few weeks back.
- Turn off the fridge and freezers. Make sure any excess waters is wiped down before they are moved.
[checklist-buttons save=”Save” print=”Print” /]
I hope this moving checklist helps you. This is the exact checklist that I used to give my customers.